But there never seems to be enough time
To do the things you want to do
Once you find them…
All too often, time slips away from us and even though the best-laid plans are made, you still have missed opportunities.
I have been keeping up on my “50 Firsts before my 51st” birthday challenge to myself and it has gone really well. I am actually surprised I have so many, 42 to be exact, and I still have 120 days until my 51st birthday!
So I thought today I would update everyone on what “firsts” I have managed to accomplish in the 245 days I have been 50 years old. My last update was in March so the list has grown quite a bit.
My 50 Firsts before my 51st Updated List!
- Climbed the Teotihuacan Pyramids, Mexico City
- Ate Crickets & Ant Larva, Mexico City
- Fought professional MMA Fighter, Josh Tyler
- Did my first Facebook Live Feed, in conjunction with Readyman.com
- Started Crossfit @Brickwall Crossfit
- Did my first official Crossfit WoD Competiton
- Drove thru Donner Pass
- Camped out in my new car
- A 17 Year promise finally fulfilled
- 1st Cortisone shot in my knuckle ever (ouch)
- 1st credit card strictly for flight benefits
- Traveled to Barcelona, Spain
- Tried Calimocho in Barcelona
- Had coffee & Cake at Satan’s Cafe
- Fought in an actual Bull Fighting Ring
- Missed my first flight ever!
- Tried PODS from Australia (so damn good)
- “Acquired” my first BOTN banner
- First punch in the face without a helmet
- First pour-over in Europe
- Tried Kumbacha (and liked it)
- Ran my first International Conference
- First A-Line bob haircut
- Ran the Spartan Sprint (and survived)
- Received my first package from Japan
- Got my first Hobonichi Planner
- Started Kali
- Started my first Happiness Journal
- Purchased a Paipur Journal
- Started my first Bucket List
- Bought my first set of Kali Sticks
- Started Jeet Kune Do
- First Long Black
- First Shakerato
- First Gibralter
- First time demonstrating positions for Kali
- Tried Baba Ganoush
- Bought my first Espresso Machine!
- Purchased our first Dyson
- First Colonoscopy (and 2nd the next day!)
- First Affogato
So as you can see, things are moving along nicely and I am quite sure I will go above the 50 firsts before my 51st birthday but I decided to write down EVERY first, no matter what, because I wanted to be sure I had a complete list, and it’s been nice going back over them actually. Mostly all good memories really…
Now, I know some have asked what I plan to do NEXT year. Well, again, TIME is always fleeting and I want to experience so much more. So the idea I have been thinking about is setting goals and trying to reach those goals (big and little ones) within a set period of time.
I know that “101 in 1001” is popular, which is to try to accomplish 101 goals within 1001 days, which is 2.75 years and would go from 12/13/2017 to 09/09/2020 (which is a very cool finish date). But I may end up with “51 in 501” instead which would end on 04/28/2019 instead.
I don’t know for sure what I may end up doing, but I have started thinking about some of my short term & long term goals already and getting them down on paper, just in case. If you have suggestions, please feel free to let me know!
Interestingly enough, when I was researching the dates above, I found out that as of today I am 18,508 days old. If you look at that number and think about 1001 days, it doesn’t really seem like a long time. But when you consider I am 50 years, 8 months and 2 days old, and 1001 days is 2.75 years, it seems much longer. I guess it’s all in how you look at time and even how you measure time.
I want my life to be measured in moments, adventures, experiences and explorations, so the minutes, hours, days aren’t soooo important. But I do want to keep track, because days, especially now, go by so quickly. And while I can’t slow down time, I can slow myself down and enjoy all those wonderful things within the constraints of time. I just have to be more aware of it passing I think.
Too many people in my life have suddenly been taken out of the time loop we all enjoy, and many of them were unprepared. When I stand at the gates of Valhalla, I want to know that I spent my time well, that I left nothing out, and that I made a difference to someone, somewhere. But most importantly, that I got the most out of life, without having too many regrets. Live. Love. Laugh. Fight. I want all of those things and more. So while some may
I want all of those things and more. So while some may think all my list making and idea processing is silly, it helps to keep me on the path that I want to end on.
Death will come for us all eventually, and I am perfectly fine with that, although I would like to live well beyond this century and I think I will, if it’s possible soon enough.
But I also know the Nornir have woven my destiny long ago, and while I still have some time left in my bottle, I want to be the one who spreads it around the way I want to…
a little here, a little there…
pouring a bit of it over those who keep me wild…
just for good measure.